Hello and welcome to The Capricious Crafter blog! Who or what is the capricious crafter? Well, that would be me, Becky, a sixty something child of God, wife, daughter, aunt, great aunt, friend and lover of crafting, cooking, reading, travel, and more. My husband and I have been married almost thirty years and are looking forward to his retirement at the end of 2014. Our plans are to buy a new camper and hit the road as much as possible. Oh, the possibilities are endless for our future!

I am a child of the 1950's and that is definitely my favorite 'era'. I collect Fire King items from the 1940's and 50's, clear glass or crystal glassware, especially pitchers, cream and sugar sets, etc., as well as old dishware and serving pieces, vintage fabrics and so much more!

I have been crafting for as long as I can remember, and definitely from my early childhood. I remember my mother teaching me how to make paper dolls from the Sears catalog and 'shirt cardboard' from the cleaners. And now I still love playing with paper! My primary crafty passion is paper crafting items such as mini albums, cards, tags, etc., however I also enjoy crocheting, some sewing, embroidery, mixed media art and art journaling, felt crafts and so much more.

My purpose for this blog is to share the crafts I make, foods I cook, decorating and caring for my home, new products I try, treasures I find at estate and yard sales, my collections, and anything else I come up with. I hope you will join me on this journey ... it's going to be a very 'capricious' ride!

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Sharing ... Vintage Thingie Thursday ... Vintage Black Draught Bottle

Hi there, and welcome!  Today I want to share one of my favorite vintage treasures with you, and I will be linking up with Coloradolady's Vintage Thingie Thursday!

I collect a lot of different kinds of vintage things, and have a love for even more, but this is probably the most odd thing in my collection.  Most of my collected items are cream and sugar sets, bowls, pitchers, platters ... and then there are the hoarded things such as vintage fabrics, ribbons, laces, buttons, etc.  But never before a laxative bottle ... that's right, a laxative bottle!


Vintage Syrup of Black Draught Laxative Bottle

Don't you love that color?  It is such a pure, clear green that just called my name when I found it one day when I was out treasure hunting with a friend.  Not too far from here, maybe 5 miles or so, there is an old home place with two old chicken houses near it.  Inside one of the chicken houses is a treasure trove of ALL KINDS of things, from old tools and farm implements, to vintage dish and glassware of all kinds, and right on up to some pretty nice furniture.  The old gentleman who owns the place loves visitors and talks to anyone who will listen.  I love stopping by there and looking around for treasures and having a chat with him!

So one day I spied a bunch of these bottles, and took one for my very own.  I think I paid ten cents for it, but can't remember for sure.  The bottle is about 6 inches tall, but only about 3/4 inch thick, and the opening is about 1/2 inch across.  The edge of the bottle says 'Syrup of Black Draught', which I had always thought was cough syrup, but after investigating a bit I found out it was actually a laxative! 

Back last fall I stopped back by to visit with Mr. B. and get some more of the bottles ... I thought a grouping would be pretty ... but he had sold the rest of them!

My moral to this story is ... don't be afraid to get something unusual to add to  your collection!  Unique and unusual are often also lovely!  Oh, and by the way, the pink flowers are actually camellias from my garden.  Thanks for visiting today!  Blessings,