Hello and welcome to The Capricious Crafter blog! Who or what is the capricious crafter? Well, that would be me, Becky, a sixty something child of God, wife, daughter, aunt, great aunt, friend and lover of crafting, cooking, reading, travel, and more. My husband and I have been married almost thirty years and are looking forward to his retirement at the end of 2014. Our plans are to buy a new camper and hit the road as much as possible. Oh, the possibilities are endless for our future!

I am a child of the 1950's and that is definitely my favorite 'era'. I collect Fire King items from the 1940's and 50's, clear glass or crystal glassware, especially pitchers, cream and sugar sets, etc., as well as old dishware and serving pieces, vintage fabrics and so much more!

I have been crafting for as long as I can remember, and definitely from my early childhood. I remember my mother teaching me how to make paper dolls from the Sears catalog and 'shirt cardboard' from the cleaners. And now I still love playing with paper! My primary crafty passion is paper crafting items such as mini albums, cards, tags, etc., however I also enjoy crocheting, some sewing, embroidery, mixed media art and art journaling, felt crafts and so much more.

My purpose for this blog is to share the crafts I make, foods I cook, decorating and caring for my home, new products I try, treasures I find at estate and yard sales, my collections, and anything else I come up with. I hope you will join me on this journey ... it's going to be a very 'capricious' ride!

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sharing ... Three Pretty Cards!

Hello!  Yes, I have been MIA again ... no excuses other than life takes precedence over blog!  Also, part of the reason is that I have been working on some 'large' projects that I can't share with you yet.  One is for a birthday gift, and I will share that one with you in a few weeks, and the other is for the 'Retro Color Challenge' over at May Arts Ribbon, so I can't share that one with you yet, but I will!

Today I want to share with you three cards that I have made in the last couple of days.  I love them all, but I have to say the two masculine cards are my faves.  First up, though, is the 'Celebrate' card ...




Close up of rose image


Celebrate card by Melissa Frances


Paper flower by Prima


Sideways view so you can see how I layered the yellow rose


Ingredients:
  • Card stock - Bazzill
  • Patterned Paper - KI Memories 'Shimmer Paper' Baby Thin Stipe
  • 'Celebrate' tag - Melissa Frances
  • Pink Paper Flower - Prima
  • Ribbon - stash (flea market purchase years ago)
  • Stickles - Ranger - Waterfall, Diamond
  • Brown Ink - Stampabilities
  • Adhesives - Foam Squares from Recollections (Michaels) and Scotch ATG 1/4"
Notes:
  • As you can see, I printed two of the vintage images (found on Pinterest) and fussy cut the yellow rose bloom, inked it and adhered it over the bottom image using foam squares.  
  • To make tying ribbon across the top of the card, use a sharp craft knife and cut along the spine of the card and run the ribbon through it, and tie in front.  

'Daddy' Card ...

Vintage bird image found on Pinterest


Close up of image

Small bow, metal embellishments


Close up of detail ... bird fussy cut from another print of the image and put on the image, bumped up with foam squares

Ingredients:
  • Card stock - Bazzill
  • Patterned Paper - Authentique 'Blissful' Pleasant paper
  • Metal pieces - Tim  Holtz 'Ideaology' Foliage, Mini Paper Clips, and Game Spinners
  • Sticker (Daddy) - SRM Press
  • Stickles - Ranger - Mercury Glass and Cinnamon
  • Ribbon - Tim Holtz 'Trimmings' Inked with ...
  • Art Anthology 'Colorations Spray' Focus
  • Brown Ink (edgings) - Stampabilities

Notes:
  • To change the color of the ribbon, simply place it on a scrap piece of paper or a 'splat mat' and spray with mist(s), crinkling and blending as you go, until you get to color you want, then dry with heat gun.

'Fathers Day' Card ...




Dear Lizzie 'Feather and Leaf' Sticker.  I removed the embellishments that were on it (too feminine) and added some metal bits to make it a little more masculine.
 

Close up of  image (Pinterest)

 Ingredients:
  • Card stock - Bazzill
  • Patterned Paper - Authentique 'Blissful' Pleasant paper (reverse side from previous card)
  • Metal pieces - Tim  Holtz 'Ideaology' Foliage
  • Vintaj Small Star
  • Robins Nest 'Dew Drop' (in center of small flower)
  • Dear Lizzy 'Feather and Leaf' embellishment sticker
  • Sticker - SRM Press
  • Stickles - Ranger - Mercury Glass and Cinnamon
  • Brown Ink (edgings) - Stampabilities

 Notes:
  • The Dear Lizzy Feather and Leaf layered sticker had a couple of jewels and a pink bow that I thought were too feminine for a masculine card, so I removed them and added some Tim Holtz and Vintaj metal pieces.  They add a great touch to this simple card.

Well, that's my three cards!  I haven't made this many cards in a long time, and it sure felt good!  I am also working on .... ummm, a couple of mini albums, and hope to show them to you one day, when they are finished.

Thanks for visiting today, and I hope to see you back here soon!  Blessings,