Hello and welcome to The Capricious Crafter blog! Who or what is the capricious crafter? Well, that would be me, Becky, a sixty something child of God, wife, daughter, aunt, great aunt, friend and lover of crafting, cooking, reading, travel, and more. My husband and I have been married almost thirty years and are looking forward to his retirement at the end of 2014. Our plans are to buy a new camper and hit the road as much as possible. Oh, the possibilities are endless for our future!

I am a child of the 1950's and that is definitely my favorite 'era'. I collect Fire King items from the 1940's and 50's, clear glass or crystal glassware, especially pitchers, cream and sugar sets, etc., as well as old dishware and serving pieces, vintage fabrics and so much more!

I have been crafting for as long as I can remember, and definitely from my early childhood. I remember my mother teaching me how to make paper dolls from the Sears catalog and 'shirt cardboard' from the cleaners. And now I still love playing with paper! My primary crafty passion is paper crafting items such as mini albums, cards, tags, etc., however I also enjoy crocheting, some sewing, embroidery, mixed media art and art journaling, felt crafts and so much more.

My purpose for this blog is to share the crafts I make, foods I cook, decorating and caring for my home, new products I try, treasures I find at estate and yard sales, my collections, and anything else I come up with. I hope you will join me on this journey ... it's going to be a very 'capricious' ride!

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sharing ... Mixed Media Art Journaling ... Five Little Words

Hey there!  Welcome to my little blog home!  Today is my last post as a member of the Anything But A Card Design Team.  It has been a fun few months, but my life is changing and so are my priorities, so it was time to go.

Our theme this week, because it is the fifth Sunday of the month, is FIVE, and we invite you to make a project that shows your take on fives.  My take on fives was five little words!  Faith, Hope, Charity, Love, and Peace.  So I made a pretty art journal page with those words in mind!  Here you go ...


Five Little Words ... Faith, Hope, Charity, Love and Peace




The journal is the large Dyan Reaveley 'Dylusions' Art Journal.  The pages that I used were actually some that I had gessoed and done some pastel flowers on back last summer.  So I took some 'sand dune' colored paint and lightly painted over it.  Then I added layers and layers of different colors of paint and stencils and such ... most of which you can't even see any more ... but isn't that the point of this kind of thing?  ;)


Some of the doodling was done with the black 'superfine' pitt pen, others with some multi colored 'Spica' markers.


The blue sky is painted in 'morning blue' paint with a little water and a little glazing medium, and painted really lightly.  Next, I used a piece of punchinella (sp?) or the mylar ribbon that is what is left after sequins are punched out of it.  and stenciled on some 'blue bird' paint with some 'sapphire metallic' paint mixed in for the dotty look.  The sun ... well, the sun was made by taking a ketchup cup from Hardee's.  It is one of the old white paper ones that, if you unroll the edge, and spread it out, it becomes a pretty round shape with creases.  I simply painted it with some yellow paint and pressed it onto the page.


The clock stencil is from The Crafters Workshop


The flowers and leaves are actually cut from Gelli prints that I did on deli paper ... or a paper that looks like waxed paper without the wax.   It has a clear, almost transparent feel that works great with a decoupage medim ... I used Collage Pauge in Matte for this one.  I used some My Minds Eye 'tiny  type' small adhesive letters, plus the word sticker for 'love'.

Deli paper gelli prints ... beautiful!


So there it is ... my last project for Anything But A Card.  Bittersweet, but the right thing to do!  I hope you will go and visit the ABAC blog and make your own project based on the word FIVE!  And come back soon for something fun!  Blessings,