Hello and welcome to The Capricious Crafter blog! Who or what is the capricious crafter? Well, that would be me, Becky, a sixty something child of God, wife, daughter, aunt, great aunt, friend and lover of crafting, cooking, reading, travel, and more. My husband and I have been married almost thirty years and are looking forward to his retirement at the end of 2014. Our plans are to buy a new camper and hit the road as much as possible. Oh, the possibilities are endless for our future!

I am a child of the 1950's and that is definitely my favorite 'era'. I collect Fire King items from the 1940's and 50's, clear glass or crystal glassware, especially pitchers, cream and sugar sets, etc., as well as old dishware and serving pieces, vintage fabrics and so much more!

I have been crafting for as long as I can remember, and definitely from my early childhood. I remember my mother teaching me how to make paper dolls from the Sears catalog and 'shirt cardboard' from the cleaners. And now I still love playing with paper! My primary crafty passion is paper crafting items such as mini albums, cards, tags, etc., however I also enjoy crocheting, some sewing, embroidery, mixed media art and art journaling, felt crafts and so much more.

My purpose for this blog is to share the crafts I make, foods I cook, decorating and caring for my home, new products I try, treasures I find at estate and yard sales, my collections, and anything else I come up with. I hope you will join me on this journey ... it's going to be a very 'capricious' ride!

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sharing ... Swapping ... What I Sent To Wendy

Happy Saturday!  This morning I want to share with you the things that I sent to my 'receiving' partner for the swap at A Swap For All Seasons.  Her name is Wendy, and she lives in Iowa.  That is about all I know about Wendy, as she was not the most communicative person, which made it hard to know what to send to her.  Part of the fun, the JOY of doing this swap is getting to know someone new, and maybe even making a new friend.  My 'sending' partner, or the person who sent goodies to me, was Debbie, and we hit it off and visited via email quite a few times during this swap, and I feel as if I got to see a peek into her life in Ohio, and that was fun!

So, since I didn't know the types of things that Wendy likes, I just sent her things that I would like to receive in a swap.  As I said in the previous post, the swap was to consist of a handmade card, a handmade tag, and some yellow things from your crafting stash.  Here is what I sent to Wendy ...


Some yellow ribbons and trims, wrapped onto tags and tied together with seam binding.


Some yellow buttons, a couple of chocolate chicks, and a handmade pin cushion made from vintage chicken feed sack fabric from the 1950's.


A close-up of the pin cushion ... it is only about 2 1/2" tall.  The fabric is chicken feed sack from the chicken house we had when I was a child.  The chicken house was struck by lightening and burned down in 1958, just weeks before I turned 6 years old.  Does the ribbon look familiar?  I used some of the hand dyed seam binding that my 'sending' partner, Debbie sent me, and it was a perfect match to the fabric.  (see previous post.) 


The card and TWO tags that I made for Wendy.  The tags come with envelopes too, so that she can mail them to a friend or family member.  There's plenty of room on the back to write a quick note.  I love the image, from a vintage greeting card.


And a hand crocheted, 100% cotton dish cloth that I crocheted using two strands of yarn, one yellow and one white, and which makes the cloth very thick and heavy and great for tough jobs!


Before I packed everything up, I put it all into cellophane envelopes to protect it, then stacked it up and ...


... wrapped it all up in yellow tissue paper, wrapped it in yellow seam binding, and slipped a cute hand made tag on top, just under the seam binding.


What do you think?  How would YOU like to get this package in your mail?  I know I would, and I really hope that Wendy enjoyed opening the treasures she received.  Thanks for visiting today, and blessings!