Hello and welcome to The Capricious Crafter blog! Who or what is the capricious crafter? Well, that would be me, Becky, a sixty something child of God, wife, daughter, aunt, great aunt, friend and lover of crafting, cooking, reading, travel, and more. My husband and I have been married almost thirty years and are looking forward to his retirement at the end of 2014. Our plans are to buy a new camper and hit the road as much as possible. Oh, the possibilities are endless for our future!

I am a child of the 1950's and that is definitely my favorite 'era'. I collect Fire King items from the 1940's and 50's, clear glass or crystal glassware, especially pitchers, cream and sugar sets, etc., as well as old dishware and serving pieces, vintage fabrics and so much more!

I have been crafting for as long as I can remember, and definitely from my early childhood. I remember my mother teaching me how to make paper dolls from the Sears catalog and 'shirt cardboard' from the cleaners. And now I still love playing with paper! My primary crafty passion is paper crafting items such as mini albums, cards, tags, etc., however I also enjoy crocheting, some sewing, embroidery, mixed media art and art journaling, felt crafts and so much more.

My purpose for this blog is to share the crafts I make, foods I cook, decorating and caring for my home, new products I try, treasures I find at estate and yard sales, my collections, and anything else I come up with. I hope you will join me on this journey ... it's going to be a very 'capricious' ride!

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Facebook Recipe Review ... Coconut Cream Cake (aka Icebox Coconut Cake)

Merry Christmas!  I would first like to wish you a very happy and blessed Christmas, filled with friends and family, joy and good cheer, love and laughter, and un-failing knowledge that Jesus came as a tiny baby to save the world, because he loves you, and me, and every person on earth enough to die a horrible death on a cross.  The peace and joy and amazing love that comes from knowing Jesus Christ is beyond anything that we mere humans can comprehend, but it is real, and it is meant for you too!

Now, for the recipe!  I have been making this recipe for years, and have always called it icebox coconut cake, but recently I saw it on Facebook and it was called Coconut Cream Cake ... and trust me, whatever you call it, it is delicious!




Icebox Coconut Cake

One box yellow or white cake mix (I prefer one without pudding in the mix!)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can cream of coconut
1 carton (8 oz) Cool-Whip
1 package (6 oz) frozen fresh coconut
I've been using this cake mix for many years, but you should use your favorite brand.
Prepare cake mix according to box directions.  Bake in a greased and floured 9 x 13 cake pan according to box directions.  (Note:  I add about 1/2 teaspoon each of vanilla extract and coconut flavoring ... makes the flavor richer)
A well greased and floured pan makes all the difference!

While cake is baking, mix together the can of sweetened condensed milk and cream of coconut.  Sometimes the cream of coconut is kind of lumpy, so mixing the two together makes it easier to pour.
Mixing the sweetened condensed milk and cream of coconut together makes for an easier pour.
As soon as you take the cake out of the oven, using a fork, make holes all in the cake, then pour the cream of coconut and sweetened condensed milk mixture over the cake.  As the cake cools it will soak right into the cake.
I like using a long, two pronged meat fork for making the holes ... it reaches all the way down.

 
Pour the mixture evenly over the still warm cake, then allow to cool slowly.
Allow cake to cool completely.

Sprinkle the thawed coconut over the top of the cake.  Top with Cool-Whip.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  

This one didn't turn out pretty, but it sure does taste good!

This is one of my husband's favorite cakes, especially for Christmas.  If you try it, please come back by and let me know what you think!  Oh, and I give this Facebook recipe ...





Blessings on this Christmas!