Hello and welcome to The Capricious Crafter blog! Who or what is the capricious crafter? Well, that would be me, Becky, a sixty something child of God, wife, daughter, aunt, great aunt, friend and lover of crafting, cooking, reading, travel, and more. My husband and I have been married almost thirty years and are looking forward to his retirement at the end of 2014. Our plans are to buy a new camper and hit the road as much as possible. Oh, the possibilities are endless for our future!

I am a child of the 1950's and that is definitely my favorite 'era'. I collect Fire King items from the 1940's and 50's, clear glass or crystal glassware, especially pitchers, cream and sugar sets, etc., as well as old dishware and serving pieces, vintage fabrics and so much more!

I have been crafting for as long as I can remember, and definitely from my early childhood. I remember my mother teaching me how to make paper dolls from the Sears catalog and 'shirt cardboard' from the cleaners. And now I still love playing with paper! My primary crafty passion is paper crafting items such as mini albums, cards, tags, etc., however I also enjoy crocheting, some sewing, embroidery, mixed media art and art journaling, felt crafts and so much more.

My purpose for this blog is to share the crafts I make, foods I cook, decorating and caring for my home, new products I try, treasures I find at estate and yard sales, my collections, and anything else I come up with. I hope you will join me on this journey ... it's going to be a very 'capricious' ride!

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sharing ... Anything But A Card Design Team Project


Hi there!  It's time once again for a design team project for the Anything But A Card Challenge!  This month's theme is a 'Tic Tac Toe' challenge.  You have to pick three items in a straight line that goes up and down, across, or diagonally to make a tic tac toe!  Easy Peasy!  And here is the board for you to choose from ...
 


For my project this month I chose the center line horizontally, which is bling, hearts and mists or inks.  I had a heart shaped candy box laying around and decided it would work perfectly for my heart shape from the center of the board.  I also used up some old bling I had been holding onto for ages!  Here is my project ...




For the edge of the box shape, I guess you would call it the 'band' of the box, I added some yellow card stock and painted it with a glittery paint.  Then I added some tulle trim in a mauve color, and some brilliant blue seam binding ribbon.  For the top of the box I traced the top onto some matching blue card stock and adhered it to the top.




 Next I took a paper doily that I had misted with three different colors of mist and let it dry.  Then I cut the doily up into several pieces and decoupaged it onto the box top, leaving the center of the doily as the center of the box.  Next I painted the top of the box with a glittery paint, let it dry, and added the bling.  And I think I may have gone a little overboard with the bling, but it's okay!

Then I added a pretty bow of the blue seam binding and added a cute heart shaped button.  And that was it!  I think my box is pretty, and I think it would be a very cute treasure box for a young girl!

Oh, and does anything look familiar on this project???  Well, it should, because the doily I used on top of the box is the one that was on the board above!  When DT Leader Susan contacted me and asked me to help her with the images for the board, I just knew I wanted to use that doily in my project!  Here is a pic of the original image used on the board ...



And I used the piece of paper that I used to do the misting for the bottom of the box by simply tracing around the box, cutting it out, and adhering it to the bottom of the box.

Thanks so much for joining me today!  If you haven't already, why don't you go play tic tac toe with us, make a project and share it on the Anything But A Card blog!  Blessings,














Products:
  • Card stock - Bazzill Basics
  • Mists - Art Anthology Colorations - Heart, Glorious, and Waimea Bay
  • Paint - Art Anthology Sorbet - Frost (clear with multicolor glitter)
  • Ribbon - Schiff's Hug Snug Seam Binding
  • Tulle Trim - Maya Road
  • Bling - and assortment of Prima, Want 2 Scrap, and Recollections
  • Heart Button - Buttons Galore and More
  • Doily - Publix Supermarket